Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The Lego Movie

TAKE 1: One Mans OpinioN
…because film is largely subjective

by Frederick William Springer III

The Lego Movie in 3D
Release Date: 7 February 2014                                                               Runtime:  100 Minutes  
Review Date:  22 April 2014                                                                   Rating:  2 (of 6)
 
     "Everything is awesome."  Visually, maybe.  Otherwise, not so much.
     The trailer, when it was first released, had me excited about The Lego Movie.  I had had my doubts about a film based on the building blocks but the trailer really did have me thinking it could be awesome.  And confined to that 2 minute timeframe, it was.  Expanded upon, it was pretty anti-awesome.
 
 
     Morgan Freeman's character Vitruvius made a comment during their journey that they should bring a dream catcher with them in case they wanted to take a nap.  I found that apropos as I DID TAKE A NAP!  Forget President Business's power-hungry scheme of domination, somewhere up to the 45-minute mark I was having a serious battle of my own trying to keep from nodding off.  In the end, a nap would have been more welcome.
     It didn't surprise me when I later realized that the writer/directors, Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, were the same directing team of the horrid 21 Jump Street and the equally terrible Hotel Transylvania.  The old adage goes "3 strikes and you're out."  I will now actively be avoiding all their future pictures.
 

     The only amusing thing to me was that 2 actors from another franchise made the briefest cameo reprising those roles here.  I won't spoil it by revealing who, but you'll know when you hear their voices.  However, a couple seconds in an hour and forty minute movie doesn't a satisfied patron make.  I lambasted Frozen a couple weeks ago here but I think I would have much rather sat through that a second time than have seen this once.

No comments:

Post a Comment